It’s been wayyyyyyyyy to long since I have done one of these, and right now I really need one. Life likes to throw curve balls, and instead of walling in self pity and muck, I decided it’s much more beneficial to reflect on all that I have to be grateful for.
1. My Sobriety. I have said before, but I will keep saying it; without it, I have NOTHING!
2. Me, Myself, & I. I’ve had my share of ups and downs, but I wouldn’t change a damn thing! If I didn’t have the trials and tribulations in my life then I wouldn’t be the gal I am today. I am happy, I am proud, I am content. It has taken 30 plus years to learn to love myself and to trust my instincts…better late than never, I guess. I take each day as they come. I really try to make a conscious effort to live in the present. I don’t always like what is going on, but I put my faith in God, he/she knows what is best, and that gives me peace of mind.
3. M&M: There really are not enough words to express how I feel about my kids. I was reflecting on how I wasn’t one of those mom’s who gave birth and immediately fell head over heels in love at first site. It took a bit of time to feel that maternal bond. It has taken me a LONG time to admit this to myself. I know my addiction had a huge effect on my mothering back then. I have carried lots of guilt over this. (That’s an entire separate blog post ;)). Sometimes I become super mom, because I feel the need to make up for the past. Truth is, my kids don’t care. They know me as I am today. The mommy who loves to snuggle, hug, sing obnoxiously in the car, let’s them have ice cream for dinner every once in awhile, insists on reading daily, ‘makes’ them do chores, and loves them to the moon and back.
3. Family: I am incredibly lucky to have an amazing family who stands by me no matter what. In fact they have literally held me up when I couldn’t do it for myself.
4. Friends: A small but mighty group that has put up with me and haven’t given me the heave ho…yet;) some have come back into my life at a time when their support and words of wisdom are needed the most. They keep me grounded. They make me smile.😊
5. Longer days: More daylight!!! I love living in Cleveland, but the long, dark, winters can be unbearable! I pretty much hibernate and become grumpy. Well, it’s now getting darker later, and thanks to seasonly warmer temps, hibernating is now over!!!🌞…side note: it’s Cleveland, it will get cold and snowy at least one more time or quite possibly well into May, but I’m living in the present… 😊
6. My health: I’m an oncology nurse, I deal with terminal diagnoses, death, grief, and fear. Recently, a loved one, not much older than I, was diagnosed with cancer. It’s treatable, but it doesn’t take away the feelings of fear, anger, sadness, and loss of control. I have been saying extra prayers of gratitude for my health and the healing of my loved one. I can’t take my health for granted!
7. Fresh flowers: I LOVE them! And yes, I buy them for myself, often. Nothing super fancy or expensive. Believe it or not, Aldi’ s and Trader Joe’s have amazing flowers for amazing prices. (Can I get a discount for the shout out?;). There is just something about fresh flowers that make me smile.
8. Books: I love to read, and I don’t always get a chance to read like I use too. Any opportunity to read, I grab. Nothing better than a good book.
9. My job: I have an amazing career, fabulous co-workers, inspiring patients, and flexibility that I sometimes take for granted….need a kick in the pants to remind myself just how lucky I am to work where I do!
10. Ice Cream: my most favorite thing in the world! (Ok, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit)….right now I’m enjoying a swirl cone from DQ. YUM! I can always count on it, and it never disappoints! 🍦